Sunday 5 June 2011

Constipation and milk intolerance

Erika is constipated again, which vexes me because I have been doing the fibre and fluid things and I would have thought she ate better here at home than she did when we were away.

Interestingly, while we were overseas, she was never constipated.  And she didn't have her bran or any of the fibre supplements she had when she was here.

So I am wondering - can cow's milk make you constipated?

I did some googling and found that dairy intolerance can actually make you very constipated.  And when Erika was overseas, she very rarely had any cow's milk - we were drinking soy milk all the time because of Julian.  And the same was in Taiwan also, she drank lots of soy milk.

So I am going to cut all her dairy and put her on soy and see if that makes a difference.  It may take some time to take effect, so I hope I will see some results in a few days.

And just to make this even more gross, here is the Bristol Stool Chart.
Type 1+2 = constipation
Type 3+4 = ideal
Type 5 and above tending to diarrhoea.

So Erika has been doing Type 1 for the last few days.

Day 1 Diary free: Today's stool is a Type 2.  That's an improvement!  I did try to make sure she had enough water as well, and also she had bran in her Weetbix this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment