Wednesday 14 April 2010

Julian's first cold

I've had a cold for the last few days - it started the day I got my flu shot but that could be just coincidence - I never used to believe in the "you get flu from the flu shot" story.  What I think is more likely was that I had an ealry viral infestation of cold virus and with the extra immunogenic load from the flu shot probably wasn't able to fight off the cold virus when busy making all these new antibodies to the flu viruses.  Anyway started out with a sore throat for a day, then cough next day, then blocked nose the next day, then runny nose the next day!

Julian was very grouchy yesterday, started off being fine and drank 180mL at his first feed and then he didn't eat much for the rest of the day.  He was very clingy and needed to be held to go to sleep and in fact didn't sleep very much at all!  He managed to get 2 hours sleeping on his dad's shoulder.  And at night he would sleep but only for short periods before he got uncomfortable again.  He seemed to do better sleeping on the shoulder and then putting him in the bouncer.  He breastfed ok and had a few naps.

This morning Erika was covered with dried snot!  And in the car yellowie green snot was pouring out of her nose and she was smearing it all over the place.  So fortunately for me it's only a cold and not a major illness or I'd be tearing my hair out with frustration and exhaustion.

Frankly I don't know how I could avoid the virus spreading around the house.  Julian drools everywhere and wipes his nose and face and then touches everything, and so does his sister.  And the ewww of breastfeeding a baby who is dripping snot all over your breast.....!!

Let's just hope that breastfeeding him will mean a milder illness/faster recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment